Monday, April 21, 2008

Small Town---Big Projects

What has happened to the small town of Santa Clara. We are a small town in so many ways. I know my neighbors and stop to talk with them when I see them whether on the street or in the supermarket. I wave when they honk as they drive by. I know folks because I recognize their dog or their cat. I know people for months on end and I know the dogs name but their name is spots dog mom.

I can be involved in my City of Santa Clara or I can go sit in a corner and complain and do nothing about what ever it is that I see wrong. I usually get involved! I have been on Commissions, Committees, task forces numerous times because I care about my City. We can all claim that Santa Clara is my City, it is mine, yours and ours.

I am always amazed at how many people seem to be unhappy about one of the projects going on in the City and yet they do not show up at City Council meetings, Planning Commission meetings or take advantage of opportunities to speak out and voice their concerns. They will complain to their friends, neighbors and any one who will listen but never to the right people at the right time. The best way to affect a project is to keep yourself informed of what is going on in the city. Read the agendas for City Council and various Commissions and committees that are available at the Library or the City Clerks Office. They are on the City Web Page also. http://santaclaraca.gov/

What projects are going on now?

* The Kohl's Project
* The Grand Boulevards initiative
* The General Plan Update
* The Old Kaiser Hospital Site
* The 49er Stadium Project
* The San Jose Earthquakes. In San Jose but will affect Santa Clara
* Downtown Revitalization
* Barec

There are more I am sure. I will check and post others as I become aware of them. Your job is to voice your concerns. you can Email the Mayor and Council: Mayor&Council@santaclara.gov
The various Departments are available on the Web Site.

I would like to hear how you feel about the projects that get you upset. What is wrong with them? How can they be better?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home